Thursday, July 2, 2009

Neighborhood Houligans


First off, let me publicly thank Katie for the Friendship award! I have been fuming over this whole mailbox thing for the past few days and was filled with glee when Katie told me she left me an award on her page! I'll perpetuate the award in my next blog, I promise! (which I hope doesn't take me 8 days this time!)

On to the mailbox makeover. Jason came home from work the other night and said that someone had bashed in our mailbox. It looks like someone took a baseball bat to it. They also hit some of my neighbors' mailboxes. Why do people think that it is okay to destroy other people's property? The disrespect that is running rampant in this country is very alarming. We need to crack down on these punk-kids. Teenagers should be prosecuted as adults. As a junior high teacher, I have had my share of experiences with teens, and I can say without reservation that teens know what they are doing. They know right from wrong. We are doing them a disservice if we do not penalize them by the fullest extent of the law. If we let them off with a mere slap on the wrist, then they learn that they can get away with it. Next time, their path of destruction becomes larger and more severe.

Of course, the punks who terrorized my block will never see any consequences since they will never be caught. But that's another story altogether...

On to the photos.





This mailbox transformation cost me eleven bucks. The mailbox is plastic and cost ten dollars, and we also had to buy a can of black spray paint which cost a dollar. I had the white spray paint already so painting the numbers was free. The numbers needed painted anyway because a few years ago my mailbox was graffiti'ed with green spray paint. I had painted the mailbox white again but never did get around to repainting the numbers.

I like the way it turned out. I especially like that the mailbox is plastic now so it should withstand a baseball beating the next time it happens!

3 comments:

  1. Yikes, sorry about your mailbox. I do like the new one though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the plastic will probably break when it is hit by a baseball bat :( The plastic wont stand up as much as the metal did. I do love that you painted it with contrast so the numbers really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your award! Sorry to hear about your mailbox problems (some people have no respect for themselves or others) but the new mailbox does look cool!

    ReplyDelete