Friday, November 11, 2011

Bridesmaid Dress Tree Skirt



When my first son was 3 months old, one of my close friends got married. I was still carrying around a little extra baby weight. (Okay, it was probably more like an extra 50 lbs).

What a perfect time for me to have to buy a bridesmaid dress right? The bigger the dress, the more fabric to work with when I cut it up after the wedding :) There's a silver lining to everything!

I knew I would never wear the dress again, mainly because I was never planning on needing a size 16 again. (Wrong! I had my second child a month ago, and I am in a size 18. Mostly I'm still sticking with maternity clothes!)

Since the dresses were a beautiful shade of red, I figured I could make something Christmassy with it. And since my tree skirt was one of those small, el cheapo dollar store felt things, making a new tree skirt seemed like the obvious choice. I got the idea from Chica and Jo.

Basically, my friend and I cut out triangles, and then sewed them together into a circle. When we were done, it was not as big as I had pictured it, so we made it larger by adding a large ruffle to the circumference of the circle. We also cut out a small circle in the center so that it would fit around the tree trunk.


Voila! Happy Holidays!

Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Well, baby-weight or no, you looked stunning in your dress! Lol, I love the way you think- more fabric = more to re-use. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I make tree skirts and lots of other things out of wedding dresses. I enjoyed looking at your blog because it is very similar to mine, www.cuttingcloth.blogspot.com. But all My wedding dress creations are easily found on my website, www.sewingbymaudy.com. Take a look if you have the interest. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete