Friday, June 13, 2008

Just Who Am I, Anyway?



Hello! I have pain-stakingly created this picture to the left so that you can get a better picture of exactly who I am. There are a few strange ones on there (you might be thinking, "cemeteries? she must be a freak...") but I am who I am, quirks and all! We'll save that explanation for another day. I can't divulge all my secrets on day one, or there will be nothing left to draw you back and read more next time.

I really enjoy collecting stuff... I have so many collections it would be hard to name them all here. Basically I collect most anything vintage... including but not limited to rolling pins, red-handled utensils, Wagner or Griswold cast iron, enamelware, egg cups, fabrics, notions, tablecloths, chairs (I have a mild chair obsession much to my husband's dismay), rabbit paintings and other rabbit tschotschkes (we have a nine-year-old rabbit named Licorice), floral paintings, paint-by-numbers, cabin type decorations especially moose, ... the list goes on. But I think you get the point. I'm a packrat with a bad garage sale habit.

One of the mottos I truly live by is "waste not, want not." I actually went so far the other day to drain the water from my spinach and mushroom cans into the plant that sits on the kitchen windowsill to save on watering the plant. I figure the canned veges probably had some extra nutritional goodness anyway, so it was just an all-around good thing. Either that or I am incredibly cheap. Or both.

I'm also a recycling fiend. Being the crafty person that I am, I painted the recycle symbol onto an old potato bin (at least I think that's what it was) that I got second hand somewhere. We fill it up constantly. It makes me feel good knowing that I am helping the planet, and I just cannot figure out why some people don't care! I am also working on some eco-friendly craft projects like fusing plastic bags and then sewing them into a handbag, and weaving magazine pages and/or potato chip bags into purses. (I also apparently have a mild obsession with bags. I take them with me to the grocery store now instead of taking home those annoying plastic bags.)

I'm also going to be learning some beading techniques from a friend of mine. A few weeks ago we found some necklaces at a garage sale for ten cents apiece. Some I like as-is; some I will dismantle and make into something cooler. Either way, you can't beat ten cents!

Well it is now about 4:30 AM, so I should probably go to bed. I am finally getting tired. I don't know why I have been so wired this week. Usually I got to bed around eleven, but ever since school let out (I teach middle school), I have been up until the wee hours of the morning. Insomnia sucks, but at least I got to work on a few sewing projects while hubby slept. I'm in the middle of making two handbags (hopefully to sell on Etsy in the near future). One is pink and brown and is entitled "coffee," and the other one is kind of tan and salmon-ish and will have a tall brown boot on it. The pattern for the boot was among my great-grandmother's belongings. I also got a lot of fabric from her after she passed away, so it has sentimental value also.

Off to bed, so good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment