Friday, June 13, 2008

Pre-Loved Goodies

I absolutely love flea markets, antique malls (when I can find something not too expensive), yard sales, thrift stores, etc. I haven't done too many auctions but of course, you can get good deals there as well. Too tell you the truth, I'm a little intimidated at auctions. I can only remember ever going to two auctions, and one of them was my grandma's when she was downsizing. She went together with a few other ladies and they had one ginormous auction. One of the other ladies was selling a Hoosier cabinet, which I just had to have. I got it for about a hundred dollars. Apparently, when I was bidding on it, others backed off and let me have it because they knew I was Marilyn's granddaughter, and they mistakenly thought it was a family heirloom. I got it for a very good deal! At that auction I also got a crazy quilt that my grandma's grandma had sewn (for one dollar I might add). I am so glad the quilt got to stay in the family.



Second-hand hunting is such a great past-time. "Hunting?" you ask. Yes, it is the thrill of the hunt that is so rewarding. Walking home with that little gem that you were able to nab before anyone else found it.... that it is a little slice of heaven! Finding vintage linens that may or may not be in pristine condition is absolutely the best. Here is a small sampling of what I have collected over the past decade:

I got this quilt at a thrift store awhile back for a few dollars. I love it!



Some Tablecloths



Christmas Tablecloths



My birthyear on a towel



Dish towels



More dish towels-notice the delicate redwork. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment