Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Beef Stew, Burgundy Style: Update

Hubby called from work and told me that some of his coworkers were inquiring about the beef stew. (Quick shout out to Adam and Flora! If you stop by my blog, leave me a comment, yo!) I did link to the recipe on Monday, however since I didn't really follow the recipe (at all), I figured I better just redo it. I'm going to copy and paste the recipe into this post and add my own things in italics. Here it goes.


  • 1/4 cup dried parsley- didn't use this
  • 2 tablespoons dried thyme - didn't use this either
  • 2 tablespoons dried bay leaf- I have this, but for some reason didn't use this
  • 2 tablespoons dried rosemary- You guessed it. I omitted this too. Geez. You mean to tell me the only spice I did use wasn't even on the original ingredient list?! (I used some oregano)
  • 3 pounds beef chuck, cut into large pieces-I think I used about two pounds of roast
  • 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped- I used a regular white onion but at least I used an onion!
  • 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped- used some frozen carrots on hand and also threw in a can of corn and a can of green beans
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled- I buy the little jar of garlic already minced. I'd say I probably used about a teaspoon or so
  • 25 1/2 oz wine, (1 bottle) rich red burgundy or California pinot noir- I used a little over half a bottle of red wine. Don't even ask where the other half went...
  • 6 ounces Lean salt pork, diced- Ew, this just sounds bad so I left it out.
  • 1 tsp each Salt and Pepper- Come to think of it, I can't remember if I put S&P in or not!
  • 1/3 cup flour- This would have certainly thickened it up a bit, but I didn't put any flour in my concoction
  • 2 cups water-I used beef broth rather than water, and I also added in a can of whole tomatoes in their juice. Smash up the tomatoes with your hands. I think the addition of beef broth and tomato juice made the soup a little less knock-your-socks-off-with-the-taste-of-wine
  • 1 pound mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps peeled-Crap, I knew I forgot something...


Basically I marinated the meat and onion in the wine for 24 hours. I then browned the meat and sauteed the onion with it. I placed the rest of the wine marinade in a crockpot along with all the other ingredients and cooked on low for about 8 hours.

De-frickin-licious.

2 comments:

  1. May I come for leftovers!?! Souunds so good...I'll bring a loaf of french bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some of the stew and the wine!!! haha

    ReplyDelete