Thursday, June 11, 2009

Gardening with the Aliens Among Us


Tomatoes are red
Zucchinis are green
Whether my garden will be successful
Has yet to be seen.

Bell Peppers are Green
And can be yellow or red.
Stay tuned for adventures
In my vegetable bed.

I finally broke down and did it. I bought some vegetable plants and got some dirt under my fingernails. You may remember how much I hate gardening. Really what I hate is the sunshine and the heat, so I figure I can take care of all things garden-related either early before it gets hot, or later after the heat of the day has passed.

Once it gets hot, all I am going to do is sit inside, sip some lemonade, and write about gardening. For example…

My Bucket List
  • Create a topsy-turvy upside down tomato planter from a five gallon bucket (Get it? Bucket list? Sorry, I couldn’t help myself)
  • Buy some vegetable plants
  • Weed the flower bed so I can plant the veges there
  • Get down and dirty with my plants (That didn’t come out right. What I meant was plant them in the ground
  • Water my babies regularly

So far, I have accomplished the first four things on my Bucket List. Hopefully I can do the fifth and final one as well. I’m not holding my breath though.



So you are jealous of my attractive upside-down tomato planter and want to make one for yourself? Well let me start off by saying that Becky over at Crafting a Green World somehow managed to tap into my brain power and blogged about how to make an upside-down tomato planter before I got a chance to.

My husband the conspiracy theorist is always telling me I should wear a little tinfoil hat. That way Becky and the aliens won’t be able to read my thoughts anymore. See what I get for not listening to my husband? Note to self: add “make tinfoil hat” to my bucket list.

There’s really no point in me explaining how I made my tomato planter because Becky did a nice job (Of course she did. She stole my brain waves, after all). I will say however that some people say to use burlap to keep the dirt in, others use coffee filters, but I used some stiff tulle fabric from my bridesmaid dress. That dress is like the Energizer Bunny, isn’t it? It keeps going and going and going…

I’ll leave you with some photos. If you look very closely, I’m pretty sure there’s a flying saucer in that first photograph. I sure hope they're here to do some weeding.


PS. A forum my husband frequents called Above Top Secret says that France is about to come clean about their knowledge of extra-terrestrials. Other European countries will then follow suit. Maybe we should start crafting ourselves some tinfoil hats. Remember, you heard it here first, folks.

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Jodie!

    Fact: mind reading is a pre-requisite for all CAGW writers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! even if it was "scanned"! 8)...Mr Fixit brought home 2 of those topsey turvy planters...same principal,but the have a foam collar to hold the dirt in. I know, its not organic but its growing like gang busters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we will just have to craft ourselves the most fashionable and artistic tinfoil hats now won't we!!!

    Hurray for you getting that gardening stuff going! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoroughly enjoyed your funny post about your garden. I grow one every year, and I'm no major green thumb, so I'm sure yours will do fine. Have to remember that crucial step 5, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh... I WISH I had aliens in my garden...as it is I have a scary, round, deep hole that reappeared even after I smashed it and covered it with mulch. Something definitely lives down there and I'm afraid to plant a petunia in its front door. Good luck with your garden. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete