Thursday, June 4, 2009

Well what do you know...

I just found this stuffed animal bowling set like I'm working on. They're only asking forty five bucks. That's $7.50 per bowling pin. It takes me well over an hour to do each one, when you figure in hunting for just the right fabric, tracing and cutting paper templates, pinning, cutting, sewing, taking forever to get those ears turned right side out, stuffing, dropping rice everywhere, stopping to clean up spilled rice, and sewing the hole closed by hand. Let's say about an hour and a half. Here's the math.

Apparently, I'm going to spend about nine hours on this project. Probably more actually, but let's go with nine. When teaching private music lessons, I make twelve dollars a half hour (and for around here, that's cheap). If I were to charge twenty four dollars an hour to make these rabbit bowling pins, I would have to charge $216 for a set of six. And that doesn't even take into consideration the cost of the fabric and stuffing! Any takers? I didn't think so.

But it does make me feel good to know that I'm saving $45 since I do not need to buy the ready-made version. Hey, a penny saved is a penny earned!

3 comments:

  1. ooooh, I love the hippo in the other animal bowling set!

    Most things that are handmade take a lot longer and would cost so much more... especially clothes.

    BUT if you can do the project with things you have and you enjoy doing it, then why not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! In the end I think your will mean so much more, because it's handmade. I personally prefer handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are cute toys but I'm sure your handmade set are going to be so much more special :)

    ReplyDelete