Wednesday, June 3, 2009
WIP Wascally Wabbits on Wednesday
These Bunny Bowling Pins are the bane of my existence. They are so adorable, and I just had to make them, however as it turns out, sewing them is a major pain in the you-know-what. I hate stuffing softies and sewing the last hole shut. My contempt for these little buggers is multiplied because you have to fill them with rice. More rice landed on the counter and floor than in the rabbit.
The ears also were a source of contention. I did the ears of each rabbit a little differently, trying to find just the right stuff. I don't have any fusible interfacing so I tried various things like silk organza, stiff tulle, and used dryer sheets. A double layer of stiff tulle (from the bridesmaid dress) was the winner. Speaking of the bridesmaid dress, the red bunny is made from its fabric.
Another WIP is this here zippered pouch. "Wasn't this selvedge project supposed to be a water bottle sling?" you ask. Yep, I changed my mind. I thrifted a whole bag of vintage zippers and thought I'd actually use one instead of just looking at them with fear. Zippers are quite scary. I have no idea how to sew them, as evidenced by the chop job I did on this little pouch. I'm too embarrassed to show you what it looks like underneath the lace. Let's just say the stitching looks straight. If you cross your eyes and have a hangover. BTW, the lining is... you guessed it, bridesmaid dress! It's the dress that keeps going and going and going...
Lastly, here's a little growth chart I'm making. I only have one measuring tape, so this project is on hold until I can get another one. I'd like to find a vintage one at a thrift store however I won't hold my breath. This project also requires me to applique. *Gulp* Wish me luck.