Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sweatshops in the US

Just a quick post to let you know that I am pretty angry right now. My friend who graduated with a degree in fashion is now on the job hunt. She's looking for a job that would enable her to sew costumes for a theatre company or something similar. The problem is, many of the jobs out there don't pay. And when I say, "don't pay," I don't mean that they don't pay well. I mean that you sew for them, and you don't get a single cent. Can you say sweatshop?
If the theatre company charges admission, I don't see how they can get away with that. I can understand if it's a free show like the free Shakespeare shows in Schiller Park here in Columbus. Why would they pay the employees because they're not taking in any money? But if the company takes in money, don't you think those profits should be shared with the costume sewers? Sewing takes time, people!

Yeah, me too. I just had to get that off my chest.

2 comments:

  1. Most do that type of sewing to get a foot in the door to the design industry, there is such a variety of techniques used in costume construction, most will do it for the experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post! Some people just don't understand. Yeah, I want the experience but I have to pay bills too! What about the gas you have to spend to get back and forth to the nonpaid job??? I mean, come on!

    ReplyDelete