Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sewing Some Snazzy Sock Storage

Problem: Need somewhere to house my collection of ratty, tatty can't-bring-myself-to-throw-them-away socks.


Solution: Sew myself some handy dandy sock pockets! (*hums the Hot Pockets commercial*)


Want some snazzy storage of your own? Here's how.
Measure the top of your dresser.





I am clearly not a perfectionist-type.



I thought I might mention that you need to make sure that you don't sew your pocket shut! You need to catch all the layers of fabric while stitching up the sides of your pocket, but when you topstitch the top of your pocket, you obviously wouldn't want to sew through the bottom layer or else your pocket won't be much of a pocket!

Alternately, you could sew the pockets with right sides together, and then the stitching up the sides would be on the inside and wouldn't show. I opted to do a fancy schmancy zig zag stitch on mine, so I didn't mind it showing.



My fabrics were curtain panels but of course you could use normal-person fabric. The blue and white stripe was from a Kmart-going-out-of-business-sale, and the toile-like fabric was thrifted a couple months ago.


Now go stuff your pockets full of socks and do a little jig because you're finished!

3 comments:

  1. The tutes keep on getting better and better!!! hehe

    I love the fabrics which I know really go well with the stuff in that room :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great idea, scarves, mittens, gloves anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute storage. OK, is this weird?- I wear socks in the house and one usually gets a hole through before its mate. I used to throw both out. Last week I decided to keep the good sock and when I get two that coordinate, I will cut each sock in a couple of pieces and 'patchwork' them together to make 2 socks that kinda match. Weird? Going to far? I might make a sock pocket like yours to keep them in while they wait for their new future.

    ReplyDelete